Sunday, November 4, 2012

Some things you treasure, some you cast aside

WHEN we think of Vikings we normally associate them with brutality and plundering. It is no wonder that in ancient times people lived in fear of their raids. So, they built round towers. Scattered around Ireland are the remains of 65 round towers. Mostly built between the 7th and 10th centuries, these towers can be as high as 34m. I had the privilege of visiting two handsome round towers at Clonmacnoise in County Offaly: the O'Rourke tower and McCarthy's Tower. They are a unique Irish form of architecture and a puzzle as to why they were built. Some antiquarians say that these towers were lookouts for approaching raiders. They provided refuge from attacking Vikings and could also double as places to hide treasure. Round towers usually have a single door two to three metres above the ground. Those escaping from the Vikings would climb up a portable ladder and enter the tower. Once the last man or the last box of treasure was safely inside the tower, the ladder was removed.
Looking at the towers made me take stock of the treasures of our lives. If faced with marauding raiders, what kind of precious things do we want to stash away? Money is one of them.
In my father's time, I have heard of very miserly people who would eat rice porridge dribbled with soya sauce for most meals and upon their death, stacks of cash were found strapped to the mattress. I have heard of little old ladies bringing in rusty Milo tins to the jewellers. Inside those tins were thick gold chains and precious stones of every kind to exchange for cash. To me, the treasures that I would like to store are traits that money cannot buy: living responsibly, meeting a need and making a better choice. The phenomenon of the irresponsible young is everywhere, be it on the big screen or in reality. It is a generation of "me first" and the world "owes me a living". When these young people do not have what they want, they take to the streets to loot and to strike fear in others. Recent riots in developed cities bear testimony to that. It makes me wonder whose fault it is that they have become slothful and selfish. The British Broadcasting Corporation aired a programme on living with the Amish recently. It showed how six British teenagers volunteered to experience a totally different lifestyle in the Amish community. One of the most admirable tenets of the Amish is the simple lifestyle that is built around family, religion and hard work. So, for these teenagers who never laid a hand on housework and slept till way past sunrise, this experience with the Amish was a treasure that humbled them. Lastly, the power of making the better choice is also within our hands. We can choose how we think and how we react to a situation. Having said that, I am reminded of a trip to Galway recently. It was a much planned for trip but as the Irish weather is no respecter of plans, it started to rain. The rain then gave way to sleet.
Galway is a place with lovely streets, where artistes put up acts and vendors ply their wares. I could continue to walk in the sleet and rain without an umbrella or an anorak and risk coming down with the sniffles or I could agree with the suggestion that it would be better to turn back and go home. It was with great reluctance that I chose the latter but not without a million grumbles going through my mind: If I had driven the car it would be different; if this had been Kuala Lumpur it would be different; if I had come on my own it would have been different .... So, with a mental act of resolve, I pictured all the grumbles as little bits of coal. I put the coal, one by one, into a bag, sealed it and put it into the bin. Why coal, I wondered to myself. Possibly because coal can ignite and coal can diffuse. Strangely once the bag of coal was in the bin, I felt better. The journey home was pleasant enough and we stopped by Mother Hubbard's for a glorious meal. Galway can wait.
Source: http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/columnist/some-things-you-treasure-some-you-cast-aside-1.166181

No comments:

Post a Comment