Saturday, September 10, 2016

PREPARING MY JOURNEY TO THE OTHER WORLD


We had just a few good days of summer when the sun blazed and nearly everyone
was out of the house, taking advantage of the good weather. My garden was clothed in 
splendour not unlike desert vegetation once the rain falls.

Now Autumn has descended on us with its mellow fruitfulness to quote Keats. Where
did summer go? Leaves turn red and brown and birds start their migration. Coats make
 their reappearance and sun dresses go back into the recesses of the wardrobe. 

Before we know it, Winter has arrived.

I have just got a form from the church where I can plan what would be done the 
day I am on the runway to the other world. Sounds morbid but I thought that it 
is a brilliant idea - one can never be too ready for anything. As a child I was taught
never to mention the word death as it would bring bad luck. Yet, death is part of living 
and the sooner we are comfortable with it, the better prepared we are.

My favourite question on the form is: what song would you like sung at your funeral?

That’s easy. 

I think ‘Turn!Turn!Turn!’ by the Byrds would be absolutely brilliant. The music is 
catchy and the words are so appropriate…..

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turnAnd a time to every purpose under heaven
A time to be born, a time to dieA time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal…a time to laugh, a time to weep……..

The funny thing is that there are no long periods of equilibrium. Just when you are
rejoicing over some happy event, another challenging situation rears its head. Yes, 
there is a season for everything and we change along the way. 

I was in the company of some friends who seemed to have everything.
Subconsciously we make comparisons as to why we are given a certain lot in life and 
why others seem to have it easy. So I took some time to digest the matter and came
away understanding myself better.

I like the phrase ‘Note to self’ - particularly note to my younger self. In retrospect, there 
are many things that I wished I had done or not done before. There are many worries 
that I need not have shouldered. There are many expectations that I need not have
 harboured. 

I was watching the finals of The Child Genius Competition 2016 over Channel 4 
( British public-service television broadcasterwhere children compete for the coveted 
trophy. I cringed when I saw how the mother of the champion,(who has put her career on hold as an obstetrician to focus on her daughter's education), 
fought to get the extra point for her child, even though she was probably in the right.



The Mail Online had headlines that went: Share

'Well done - you swindled your daughter to the final': Rhea's 'pushy mum' is

criticised after she got another child kicked off before daughter, 10, was

crowned winner of C4's Child Genius


I share the same feelings as the many who took to berating the mum online such as 
‘It is a game. She is only ten years old. This is not going to define her life’.

But then again, if I had been her age with my ten year old up there on the podium 
battling for the coveted trophy, would I have acted the same?

People say that with age we grow wiser. But I think it is more of experiences that 
make us wiser and better people.

As I scroll down the most curious aforesaid form, there is this question on what
choice of a box I would like to be in - gold gilded, cedar wood or cushioned 
with taffeta silk?

My memories of Dracula movies tell me to avoid a certain shape altogether. 
And I think of trees being lumbered indiscriminately, so nothing wooden for me either. 

Since I love basketry, willow sounds like a good idea. 

This article was originally printed in the new Straits Times 2 October 2016. http://digital.nstp.com.my/nst/books/161002nstnews/index.html#/23/





No comments:

Post a Comment