Saturday, August 11, 2018

A LITTLE BIT OF LUXURY

I was at the shop looking for a bottle of my regular shampoo when another brand caught my eye. Well, the last time I used that was when I was in my twenties and at that time it was considered a high end shampoo. So I bought it on a whim just because.

When I put a generous blob on my palm, it was that all familiar aroma that made me smile. After all these years the shampoo’s quality was uncompromised.

It's strange how we associate things with luxury.

There is an everyday towel which is well used and there is a newer and fluffier one that we bring with us when we travel. There is an everyday mug which is quite ordinary and there is a nicer mug for the friend who drops by for tea.



There is a broad spectrum of luxury. What is luxurious to someone can be blase to another. Normally an item of luxury is more expensive than a regular item. Maybe the difference is in its quality. But I suspect advertising and packaging have a lot to do with the higher price. 

Every time I enter a store or surf online and I see something that I like but definitely do not need, there is this battle that goes on within - should I buy it or walk away?

I am not talking about the super rich or the super extravagant lifestyle. It is more about the spending power of the ‘every man’ who earns a basic wage and has responsibilities to tend to.

There are several factors that help us to decide whether or not to purchase a bit of luxury.
If it is a gift for someone else or if there is an occasion, half the battle is won because there is a cause for getting the gift. However, the battle intensifies when I am buying it for myself for no reason at all.

Then there is the price tag. This is very important because if it is reasonable, we rejoice. But if it is higher than what we expect, we move on to the next stage - justification and immediate or delayed gratification.

So we scrutinize the item to see if is worth forking out that much from the wallet. Sometimes a little defect can help us make up our minds quickly. We are secretly relieved that we can leave the item behind on the shelf.

We may also need another opinion to justify the purchase. So we photograph the item and send the image of the intended purchase to like minds. A thumbs- up or a happy emoji response signifies support and when two or three are in agreement, there is solidarity and peace of mind. So we take the item in question and stride happily to the payment counter.

When we actually carry the prized package home, not everyone will immediately reveal the latest bounty to the spouse for various reasons. One possible reason is we do not want to hear unfavourable comments. Any complaint about the purchase will certainly diminish the joy of having bought the item. So the lovely package is hidden in a special place only known to the buyer and will be retrieved at a later date. As for online packages, I have a doormat that reads, ‘Please hide packages from husband’.



When someone that I know well enough comes to me and asks for my opinion whether he should enjoy a little bit of luxury, I will ask him in return, ‘How old are you?’
I know the answer is incongruous but usually it is for someone who has lived most of his life as a very responsible adult. Having lived this long minding the needs of others foremost, I think he deserves to treat himself to something nice.













THIS ARTICLE WAS ORIGINALLY PRINTED IN THE NEW STRAITS TIMES MALAYSIA ON 12/8/2018
http://digital.nstp.com.my/nst/books/nstnews/2018/20180812nstnews/index.html#/23/

No comments:

Post a Comment