Sunday, December 23, 2018

A LITTLE BIT OF CHARITY THIS CHRISTMAS


It was an icy cold Sunday morning and I was thankful that I had found a parking spot. It wasn’t easy to find one as the streets were busy and people were rushing here and there. I headed towards the church, head bent low against the ferocious wind and feet shuffling on the side walk as fast as I could to keep warm and to get out of the cold quickly. The thought of  colder days ahead wasn’t exactly very pleasing.

Then I heard a voice, ‘Any spare change for the homeless?’

I looked up and saw an elderly man with dishevelled hair sitting on the steps of a public building. He held out an upturned hat to me.

My head told me to move on quickly because he might not be a genuine case of someone in need of help. He could be part of a bigger syndicate, he could be an ex-murderer having served time or he could have been irresponsible in his youth (which led to his present predicament). In fact I never forgot the time when my father gave ten ringgit (2 euro) to a beggar who upon receiving the money, instantaneously headed to the nearest alcohol store to spend his new found wealth. But my heart told me he could have fallen between the cracks or was just a victim of unfortunate circumstances.

Why are there so many homeless and displaced people on the streets?

Homelessness in Ireland is an evolving social issue.

According to FocusIreland, the number of families becoming homeless had increased by 24% since July 2017. If before it was due to the pervasive impact of  the Great Famine (1845 - 1852), 20th century homelessness was associated with senior males who might have alcoholism or addiction problems.

The present day homeless population includes women and children as well. The reasons given are possibly the economic downturn coupled with the impact of reduced familial incomes, mortgage arrears and rental increases.

Having a home is a basic need that many of us take for granted. I have never been without a home. I cannot imagine what it is like to be caught in such a situation - to not know where your next bed is, to be constantly on the move and to be surrounded by fear and uncertainty.

The street lights are all up now and the stores are beautifully decorated for the season. People are busy doing last minute shopping to get all the presents to put under the tree. Chimneys are puffing smoke as fireplaces are lit. Mothers or fathers are labouring over the hearth preparing the children’s favourite meals. Even pets have their own special treats and tiny coats to keep their bodies warm.

And amidst it all,we do not see or we choose not to see the needy who are lying in our path. When a homeless person is found dead in a derelict building in Limerick, then there is public outcry and tributes start pouring in.

So I walked on and entered the church and soon the congregation started to sing. Except that I couldn’t sing.

I walked out and went to the nearest cafe and bought a takeaway meal and a cup of hot tea. Then I walked back to my car.



The elderly man was still sitting on the stairs.

I put some money into his hat and I gave him the packed meal and tea.

‘Is this for me?’ he said barely looking up.

I replied in the affirmative and decided to chat with him. Did he have children? Yes, a son who is living with his girlfriend. He had been sleeping rough for sometime now.

After that I walked back to the church for the rest of the sermon.

I know I can’t help all the homeless but just for that day, someone who could be my father or my brother, had a hot meal on the steps of a building on O’Connell street.

            Have a Blessed Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment