Sunday, December 29, 2019

LET'S GO FLY A KITE


Life is what happens while you are busy making plans, John Lennon once said. We're coming to the end of another year and I ask myself where did the time go? 

Between Christmas and the New Year, I find myself watching lots of reruns on television. I hardly ever sit down to watch a movie from beginning to the end but it is different at this time of the year when all my intended crafting projects have been completed, the house scrubbed clean and the winter garden deserves a good rest.



You can never get enough of classics.

Truth be told I needed my annual dose of the Muppet Christmas Movie, Raymond Briggs' Snowman, Jim Carey's Christmas Carol, and Mary Poppins complete with dancing penguins and horses that go up and down on the carousel. 

Every year, one particular scene in a movie strikes me. This year it is Mary Poppins. That is when Mr Banks patches up a broken kite with 'tuppence of paper and string'. A broken man realises the beauty of what is important and the meaning of unconditional love.

I made a Christmas present for a dear friend and when she opened it, she was quite overwhelmed.

"Soo, Omg it's the most amazing thoughtful gift I've ever got. It brought tears to my eyes, good tears. so beautiful. Everyone needs a Soo in their lives. That's why your friends love u. You went to so much effort. The detail is amazing. I'm so happy that I've you in my life, like all your friends would say.'

Wow.

There was a warm fuzzy feeling inside. The feeling of giving love and being loved.

Then I discovered that someone I care for in Malaysia is doing some personal research on the Titanic. I wanted to get her a model DIY ship online but realised that I won't have enough time to get it mailed to me before my departure to Malaysia.  I asked my daughter whether she could get it from one of the gift shops in Dublin. Unlikely, she said. So I'm considering going to Cobh to get it and told her so.

Daughter: 'The lengths to go to! All for Titanic'
Mum      :  'Yeah, I have a big heart. It is good to love those who care for you. Too many times, we                        pour love on those who do not reciprocate.'
Daughter: Absolutely.

Just before the run-up to Christmas, I decorated my car with antlers and a bright red nose because she (my car) thinks she's Rudolph. 



Sadly, someone thought that it was very funny to break an antler. So I got a text from Michael (he woke up earlier for work) who noticed that it was broken.

I used superglue, gorilla glue, plastic glue, wood glue and bandaged it with masking tape. It couldn't hold and fell apart again.

Anyway.

The kite repaired, Mr Banks takes to the street dancing with his children and singing...

Oh, oh, oh!
Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height
Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear
Oh let's go fly a kite

Even as the year ends, let's focus on what matters and repair tiny cracks and gaping wounds.The heart is a very tender thing and we need to guard it well.

                                        Have a wonderful and meaningful 2020.



No comments:

Post a Comment