Wednesday, May 13, 2020

MY GARDEN, MY CANVAS

It was late but I wasn't sleepy. Why? Because my brain was on overdrive, my pulse racing and excitement rising. The difference between a teenage me and an adult now is zero, that is where a challenge is concerned. I'm talking about creating a video. Not any quick video to be posted on social media. But a video of my garden to be sent to BBC.

Because of the lockdown, the programme host invites the general public to submit videos of their gardens, big or small to be shared with viewers.



Sometimes, after deciding to do something, I wonder  why I decided in the first place. Isn't it easier to just live life 'normally' day after day, doing the things that you are familiar with and thus live a quiet life?

But that wouldn't be me.

I love gardening. I love art. So the theme of my video is MY GARDEN, MY CANVAS.

Where video taping is concerned, I'm a complete amateur but that is where we all start from. And the best thing is this amateur is surrounded by wonderful people who are willing to help me progress from level 0 to level 1.

Enter Robin, a professional videographer, who gave me a few tips. He also kindly sent me completely free, a beautiful aerial view of Killaloe-Ballina to start the video off or in video speak: establishing the garden. I also gained new vocabulary: Establishing shots, tending up, close ups, zooming with my feet.

My eyes were open. My ears were open. I saw what I never saw before and I heard what I didn't hear before. The surroundings were the same. Only this time round, the senses were hightened.

Suddenly the crows were cawing so loudly. The whirring of some nearby machinery was continuously annoying. And yes, the wind! the wind! A mild wind sounded like a storm coming when recorded.

The sun was not only the sun but it determined the shadows. I jumped up like a lark at break of dawn to get the 'perfect' shot. Quiet. Clear. No shadows. No disturbance.

Then came many short clips, over and over again, to get the perfect clip. Shoot - replay - delete - shoot. Repeat. 

After 18 successful short clips, I was happy. 

Enter my daughter Audrey who kindly volunteered to edit for me. I started sending the video clips to her via WhatsApp. 

Audrey: Ma, sorry wait. My settings don't allow saving of videos automatically. Can you send them over again?
(I sent again).

Audrey: Grrr, sorry, WhatsApp didn't update automatically. I only got the last 3 videos you sent me. 

(I sent again)

Audrey: Sorry ma, but you need to resend to me all the videos. WhatsApp has crushed your videos to a low resolution. Do you have a dropbox? If you upload all the videos there, then share the link with me and I can download the videos.

DROPBOX.

My heart dropped like a heavy box. I don't have it. Unchartered territory is always so terrifying. To anyone younger than I am, this is just like ABC.

Me: I'm worried about this thing, how to get it started etc.

Audrey then sent me this CARTOON.


That was really  comforting. I know some children will get impatient and just roll their eyes (meaning: are you that stupid?) when their parents are not as techno savvy as they are.

So  encouraged, I googled to find out how to install one, how to save the videos there and went to sleep while the videos were being uploaded. The next morning I learnt from google again, how to share the link. 

Audrey upon receiving the link: Very good!!! Pandai! (clever). I suggest we mute the sounds and do a voice over. This is this free app for the recording. (screenshot) You have to synchronise your narrative with  the video.

By then I could do anything that I hadn't done before. Confidence begets confidence.

I downloaded the app, borrowed Mike's phone to watch the video, and went to a quiet room. I did a trial run before recording. Then I recorded my voice on my phone while simultaneously watching the video on Mike's phone. I was surprised I only had to do it ONCE!!

Pleased as punch I forwarded the recording to Audrey.

Audrey: Good work! Very nice to have a little video showcasing all you've done. It was very good. Well done!

Me : Just viewed the final version. Very good. Cannot breathe. Feel like crying.

All in, it took us 3 days to complete the video. It is so easy to work with someone who has the same drive, the same level of commitment and the same eye for excellence.

So now I sit and wait. I hope the video gets selected. I have good friends who are keeping their fingers and toes crossed for me.

If the video gets selected, I will pat myself on the back and say I'm quite brave after all, and then go order a Chinese takeaway.

If the video doesn't get selected, I will also pat myself on the back and say I'm quite brave after all, and then go order a Chinese takeaway.

Either way, I am happy that I have gone through the whole learning process.

2 comments:

  1. With my age that would also be a whole adventure!! But you are Pandai!
    Ivania.

    ReplyDelete